Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cannonball....Jumping Into Social Media and Technology

No more excuses.  I'm finally done expecting the tech experts in our building to take care of the 'tech stuff' while I sit on the sidelines.  I'm sure some of you can relate! For my first blog post...ever....I think it may be best to lay out who I am, where I have come from, and anything else that may shed some light on future posts.

#1- I write like I speak.  However I say something in my head, that is how I type it.  It doesn't necessarily impress English teachers.  I most likely wouldn't get the highest vocabulary and word usage grade, and I wouldn't pass many rubrics in grammer usage either.  But, hopefully you can follow my 'deep' thoughts:)

#2- I'm in my 3rd year as an elementary principal (Preschool-fifth) in Iowa.  I grew up a farmer's son and still have that in my blood.  How does that relate to this blog?  Well, I spent more time with pigs than computers.  Couple that with my age (29) and you can see where I fell through the technology cracks.  I remember fumbling through the internet at school for the first time in 8th or 9th grade.  I only had time for sports when high school hit so I never dove deep into technology.

#3- Starting the 2010-2011 school year, I would have considered myself adequate with technology.  My respected elders would consider me very savvy with technology because I can run a computer with great ease, manipulate the main features with technology, and use help functions with great regularity (which makes me look a little better than I really am).  But, I continually witnessed all the amazing resources out there and wanted to give it a shot.  Excuses, perceived lack of ability, and time all played a part in the constant delay of 'getting started'.  Currently, my beautiful wife of 5 years is asleep, my 2 children are quiet in bed, so why not start now?

A quick glimpse of my family that is sleeping soundly.  My boy is 2 years old and my daughter is 2 months old in this photo.




#4- I made some 'Technology Goals' at the beginning of the school year:
  • Start up a twitter account and actually utilize it. Check.
  • Figure out how to use a Mimio. Check. Needs Improvement Though.
  • Dive into iPads.  Check.  Beginning phase still.
  • Start a blog. In the process.
#5- Goals for my blog:
  • Learn how to create extra pages. Check. Not going to publish until I've got it all figured out though.
  • Embed pictures and videos in each page and post. Check, see picture above with lovely wife and kids.
  • Create a drop down menu in some of my headings tabs.  I've tried...Not even close on this one.
  • Come up with cool gadgets that meet my needs of this blog. Not there yet.
#6- Last but not least, my priorities in life are as follows: My faith, my family, and then everything else.  I'm not saying that my love and passion for education and specifically my role as a principal isn't important.  But, I am pretty upfront with saying that it doesn't hold a candle to my love and passion for Christ and my family.  Therefore, this blog not only will be a reflection of my professional love but also my personal passions as well.  Hopefully, you enjoy the mix of personal and professional stories and resources in this blog.

#7- Oh yeah, one more thing.  I am a proud member of a wonderful organization...Outreach Outdoors.  I love hunting, fishing, and pretty much anything outdoors.  Outreach outdoors connects the outdoors with spreading the word of Christ.  If you are interested, feel free to check us out at: www.outreachoutdoors.com 



I'm looking forward to this time of reflection.  I have enjoyed learning from others and gaining resources through so many wonderful bloggers and professionals.  A global learning community is possible...I'm so excited that I've stepped off the diving board.  

4 comments:

  1. Awesome that you are blogging Adam! It definitely is a great way to connect with your own school as well as others around the world. My big suggestion would just to make sure that you are consistent. Whether it is once a week or more, it is important you keep in the cycle of writing :)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first post. I think it is terrific that you are not waiting for the 'experts'. It is scary at first putting yourself 'out here' but it is so worth the benefits.

    Hopefully, with your excitement and lead, your teachers will follow.

    My suggestion would be: don't worry about making mistakes because that is how we are all learning (and don't be afraid to ask questions on Twitter because there are so many willing to answer!)

    Looking forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm finally done expecting the tech experts in our building to take care of the 'tech stuff' while I sit on the sidelines."

    Excellent point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little late on catching your blog, but from this post, I'm so excited to read more from you. Keep up the great thinking and keep your priorities in order. They are right on line with mine. Great to see another transparent Christian in education.

    ReplyDelete